Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Menus

I attended a math seminar a few years back where the notion of MENUS were introduced. Menus were a list of activities a class can pick from to work. I took this idea and modified it. I created math menus and literacy menus, each of these menus had 12 to 15 differentiated activities corresponding to my leveled reading groups. I fold each student's menu in such a manner where they can only see the given days activities. They assisted me greatly in managing my 'reading groups' and my problem of what to do with those who finish their math early. The way I set up my math menus, we have our daily math lesson, we do the guided work and then the students work on on the independent work. Once they are done with their assignments, they go to my peanut table grab their math men folder and math menu. Then they go to the assigned location for their activities, (ei: CoS are on the top shelf, PoA are in the top drawer, SS are in the second drawer, GoF are in the bottom drawer). The students know to look for only the activities which are marked on that day's menu, they get the activity from the location, take it to the floor or their desk where they complete the activity and activity sheet. Once done, they raise their hand, I come and check their work, initial their activity on the menu, they turn it in and move on to the next. I currently have 5 sets of math menus, some menus are more challenging than others, but they kids have no idea. All they know is they enjoy working on them. Also, this allows me the time to sit with those who need extra help, while the rest or productively practicing concepts we've already covered in class.
I used to do my literacy menus very much the same. This year, however, I opted to do the Daily 4 which I took from the Daily 5 for our reading, so instead of literacy menus we have our Daily 4 Rotations which work wonderfully.

I am attaching, I hope, a copy of both menus. If you are interested, please let me now and I'd be happy to email you a copy.







math originals-1

0 comments:

Post a Comment